Saturday, January 12, 2013

#Moffle

     A new trend has recently risen in the streets of Japan, and it's called a moffle. But what exactly is a moffle? A moffle is a mix between mochi, a traditional Japanese rice cake made with glutinous rice, and a waffle. It is made by making a mochi based waffle batter and cooking it in a waffle iron. Moffles are usually topped with fruits, nuts, syrup, and other sweet and savory delights. As of late, moffles have become very popular in Japanese cafes, but they've stayed mostly in the far east. During the beginning of 2012, in the art district of Providence, a restaurant called Teriyaki & Korean House opened, as Rhode Islands first restaurant to serve moffles. How could I resist?
     Just a block away from the Johnson and Wales campus is Westminister st, the heart of the art district. The sidewalks are as wide as the street, and laid with bricks. In the shop windows, there hangs obscure apparel and artwork. Symposium books, Small Point Café, Craft Land, and other local stores make this street one of my favorites in the city. Just across the street from Small Point Café, a sign in a large glass window-wall reads "Teriyaki and Korean House." It is a decently sized store-front on a corner with glass walls on both outward facing sides.
     When you walk in the door at Teriyaki & Korean house, there are two signs. One pointing to the right which reads "Restaurant," and one pointing to the left which reads "Café." As much as I love Japanese and Korean food, my visit to the restaurant in Teriyaki and Korean House had to wait for another day. I was there for my first moffle at the café.
     Before I get into my moffle experience, I would like to first point out that there is no Arabica "coffee" at this café. All of the coffee drinks are espresso based, which I didn't know until I was ordering. Since I had entered with the expectation of getting a coffee with my moffle, I went with an Americano(1/2 espresso, 1/2 water) since it is the closest espresso drink to a cup of Arabica coffee. Also, Teriyaki and Korean House is definitely a restaurant before it is a café. The restaurant takes up most of the space, while the café occupies 3 or 4 small tables in the front of the restaurant. An enjoyable little spot if you just want a tea or espresso drink and a moffle, but that's about all they serve at the café.
     There were four different flavors of moffle at this location: plain, berry, cream cheese, and oriental. I decided to go with the oriental. The staff member behind the counter was very nice, and the prices are pretty fair. my moffle and Americano came to about $7 after tax, which for breakfast downtown isn't unreasonable by any means. After I had ordered, I got settled at one of the small tables by the door, and in only a few minutes, it was ready. Upon receiving my Japanese-American fusion treat, I was immediately pleased with the presentation. They could have very easily just placed it on a plate with some syrup on top like so many other cafés would do with a waffle, but they put in on a small rectangular plate with a good amount of mixed nuts and seeds on top, and drizzled a sweet syrup-looking sauce over the plate.
 
 The texture of the moffle was very dense, and almost doughy on the inside, which made it very filling for such a small portion. Although it didn't look or have the texture of a waffle or waffle batter. It was much thicker and was definitely made from a mixture closer to a dough that a batter. It was pretty heavy, and very sweet. Definitely a good choice if you're in the mood for a sweet breakfast/junk food. Certainly a step up from a short stack of pancakes. The mixed nuts were a great contrast to the sweetness of the moffle, adding a savory aspect to the dish.
     At first, I thought that the sauce was maple syrup based, but it had a very strange consistency. When I would pick up a piece of moffle, the sauce didn't want to separate, almost like trying to rip a piece off of a rebellious mozzarella stick that absolutely refuses to let you get a bite without a fight. The consistency reminded me of a raw egg white, but it was very sweet. it had a syrup-esque taste, but there were spices in it. Definitely cinnamon, and maybe some nutmeg. Overall, a tasty sauce, but a little sweet for my taste, and the consistency was difficult to work with. It left me looking slightly ridiculous while trying to eat, and glad that there were no other people there to watch the spectacle that was my difficulty attempting to get a bite of my moffle.
     After finishing my moffle, I also got an iced lychee bubble tea which was refreshing although a little sweet for my taste. Overall, I was happy with my first moffle experience. If you're looking for something to satisfy your sweet tooth, a moffle from Teriyaki and Korean House will make a nice breakfast or brunch. The service here is very nice, and after all of the wonderful things that I've heard about the restaurant, I'll definitely be returning soon for a full lunch!
 



1 comment: